Monday, January 3, 2022

Kam Turned 20!

Kam turned 20 years old on December 21st and we celebrated at home. We made him his favorite things for breakfast, he got to go out for his favorite seafood with a good friend for lunch, and had hot pot for dinner. And he had his favorite cake--a Tres Leches Cake. He got a Minion Lego and a Stephen Curry ("the three point machine, mom!") jersey he had requested for his birthday presents. And he got sent letters, birthday cards, and gifts from loved ones from all over the country. He said it was his best birthday to date. Thanks to everyone who reached out and helped make it special for him. 

A few days later we got to celebrate Christmas at home. Together! Jesse, Kirby and I made a Christmas Eve feast and we had prime rib, some Chinese side items, macaroni and cheese, homemade eggnog, yeast rolls, various cookies, fudge and muddy buddies. A little bit of something everyone loves. We got matching jammies and even the dog got her own set. We had a really good Christmas and everyone was happy with their gifts. And mostly, the gift of being together. A day of games, rest, play and togetherness. Thank you, Jesus. 

Last week, we anticipated Kameron would proceed with his second to last round of chemotherapy. Unfortunately, he did not make counts. I think Kam has just been determined to spend exactly zero holidays in the hospital these past 9 months of treatment. He goes back in again to the cancer clinic this week and is anticipated to make counts then, and he will likely be hospitalized for the next couple weeks with just a couple day break in between treatments. Which means he will be done with his MAP chemotherapy treatment for his osteosarcoma very soon, all count dependent. 

The stress of all we've been through the past couple years hit me late on Christmas Eve and manifested as lock jaw (trismus). To be clear, no-- I do NOT have tetanus. I've been grinding my teeth at night since I can remember, but my jaw has been popping and intermittently locking since October. But it went out in a BIG way on Christmas Eve. This has made talking and eating difficult for me. After consulting with my doctor and my dentist (all of whom I adore), and a normal x-ray later it was determined that my TMJD and overall stress have been contributing to it. Ultimately-- I need to stress less. Which is much easier said than done. I've been doing what I can to reduce and manage my stress, prevent my teeth from grinding, and finding things that bring me joy and relaxation. I've rekindled a former love I've had for art, and have been taking wheel pottery lessons with Kirby, and I've been drawing a lot.

Thank you for your continued love and care for our family. Please join us in prayer that Kam makes counts this week and he can get going on completing his last two chemotherapy treatments. As you can imagine-- we are all ready to be done. This battle has been a long one. Please pray that my jaw unlocks soon. It's been better, but hasn't completely released yet. 

1 comment: